Prepping a Clipper for First Time Use
How to oil your hair clippers before using them
It is important to prep your hair clippers before using them for the first time. Whether you have clippers with a taper lever or without a lever, you can prep them by oiling the blades. Using clippers right out of the box will pull and snag hair, causing irritation. Prepping your clipper blades with blade oil reduces friction by lubricating all parts of the blade.
Follow these steps to prep your clippers before using them for the first time. You can hold the clippers or set them on a flat surface to do this.
If you have a clipper with a lever :
- 1 Open the oil bottle and snip off the top to allow the oil to flow.
- 2 Place three dots of oil on the top of the blade. There should be one dot on the left, one in the middle and one on the right of the blade.
- 3 Next, place a dot of oil on each side of the clipper blade where the top and bottom blade meet. (This is called the foot of the blade.)
- 4 Work the oil around by moving the lever back and forth a few times.
- 5 Turn the clipper on. Continue to move the lever back and forth.
- 6 After a few rotations back and forth with the clippers running, turn the clippers off and gently wipe off any excess oil with a clean cloth.
- 7 You’re ready to use your clippers for the first time.
If you have a clipper without a lever :
- 1 Follow steps 1-3 from above.
- 2 Then, turn the clipper on and listen to it. Let it run for a few seconds. If it is noisy, add a little bit of extra oil.
- 3 Continue to let the clipper run until it quiets down. Once it quiets down, you will know that the oil has worked itself into all of the right spots.
- 4 Gently wipe off any excess oil with a clean cloth.
- 5 You’re ready to use your clippers for the first time.