STERLING, Ill. (March 26, 2020) – You’ve heard the famous saying, “When the going gets tough, the tough get going.” This may be why in the wake of sweeping COVID-19 changes like social distancing and the shuttering of businesses, Americans are getting proactive. Searches on ‘How-To’ content are surging, whether it’s for recipes, cleaning tips — or home haircutting. Americans are picking up clippers, many for the first time. And for those wanting a little more confidence, Wahl’s team of experts are offering advice to help them through it, after all, they invented the first handheld electric clipper 101 years ago.
“Right now, many people feel isolated,” said Steven Yde, division vice president for Wahl. “We want them to know they’re not alone. Wahl wants to do our small part in helping people bring some sort of normalcy to an abnormal circumstance.”
In the Wave of ‘How-To’ Searches, Home Haircuts are Hot
According to Yde, “In the last week, we’ve had a nearly 300 percent increase in traffic to our ‘haircuts how-to’ page on WahlUSA.com.”
So why are some many people looking to cut their own hair? The motives may be many, but Yde theorizes these are the top reasons:
- They have no other choice. Sadly, many barbershops and salons were closed.
- Video conferencing. Working from home doesn’t mean no one will see you.
- It’s empowering. Uncertainty can be frightening, and while it may seem small, the skill of cutting your own hair or a family member’s hair can offer a sense of control.
- Bonding. For those families hunkered down, cutting each other’s hair strengthens bonds.
What do people need to do before they cut their hair? Yde offers the following tips:
- Get the gear. If you don’t already have one, you’ll need a reliable clipper like the Wahl Elite Pro. It has self-sharpening blades and a powerful motor with the torque and precision to avoid mishaps.
- Choose a style. Increase the chances of success by picking a hairstyle that flatters your face shape.
- Be patient. The single biggest mistake you can make is rushing into it. Seek out instructional videos and experts tips — get a game plan, then start clipping. And if you’re using a video tutorial as a guide, try to find someone who has a similar hair type as your own.
Get Grooming, Get Engaged, Get Free Gear
Sometimes you just want a little help from your friends. So whether you’re a novice or experienced with a clipper, Wahl’s encouraging people to share their home haircutting journey on social media with the hashtag #YouGotThis. Each week Wahl will pick one participant, and mail them some grooming gear as their little way of saying thank you for bringing some normalcy to this unusual circumstance.
“Not only is this a great way to bring people together while they are isolated, but it’s a way for people to see what’s working, what’s not, and to gain confidence from each other,” explained Yde.
For more information about home haircutting tips and tools, visit WahlUSA.com or follow Wahl on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook at @WahlGrooming.
About Wahl Grooming
Celebrating its 101st anniversary, Wahl continues to help men look and feel their best with innovative products manufactured to define and elevate the men’s grooming category. The company set the standard with the first-ever practical electric hair clipper in 1919, and later strengthened its leadership with the world’s first battery-powered facial hair trimmer. Wahl crosses its centennial milestone by introducing a complete line of personal care products including a beard oil, shampoo, and body wash. It’s this continued commitment to excellence that has solidified Wahl’s place as the world’s go-to brand for men’s grooming solutions. For more information, visit WahlUSA.com.
# # #