How to Cut and Maintain a Buzz Cut
The dog days of summer are approaching as days get shorter and temperatures get higher. The car is hot. The house is hot. Even a quick trip to the mailbox leaves us a bit sweaty. It seems every weekend is busting at the seams with barbeques, parties and festivals.
Bouncing around from place to place in the summer sun you suddenly experience that uncomfortable feeling every man knows – a sweaty, greasy scalp sending a single drop straight down your back. Enough is enough. You’ve cut the lawn and now it’s time to cut the one on your head. Removing those luscious locks from your head may sound unthinkable, but when enduring the summer heat, it’s a great way to look cool and stay cool. Gentlemen, start your clippers. It’s time for a buzz cut.
How to Give Yourself a Buzz Cut
Here's how to achieve the look:
- Take a nice cool shower to remove any dirt or grease.
- Once your hair is dry, attach a #3 or #4 attachment guard to your Wahl Lithium Ion Pro Hair Clipper. Remember, it is always best to start longer.
- Begin by running your hands through your hair and noting any bumps on the skull to approach with caution.
- Turn on your clipper and begin moving front to back against the grain. Use straight and repetitive motions.
- Once the top is to your liking, put on the next shortest guard comb for the sides. Hair tends to poof more on the side of the head so a shorter cut on the sides will look more natural.
- Start at the bottom, closest to your temples and the bottom of your neck, and glide upward. Use a handheld mirror to complete the back of your head carefully. Click here for a video tutorial to help achieve the buzz cut.
- Repeat this process every 1-2 weeks depending on hair type and growth.
The buzz cut is simple, but there are some other products you might consider.
How to Maintain a Buzz Cut During the Summer
Use a Scalp Shampoo
Regular shampoo is designed to clean one’s hair. However, your new ‘do doesn’t have much of that. Shampoos strip the oil from your hair, which can cause your scalp to become dry, flaky or irritated. With such little hair, there are no secrets when it comes to dandruff. A great scalp shampoo will nourish the skin with vitamins like B5, C and E, all important to restore natural moisture to your scalp.
Moisturize the Scalp
Whether you choose a cream, oil or gel, it is equally important to keep your scalp moisturized. If you choose a plain oil, such as popular avocado or grapeseed oil, use sparingly to avoid a greasy scalp.
You can use any ol’ sunscreen on your dome, but consider using a dry oil formula for a less greasy look. If you’re not into products, a nice hat will also do the trick. Make sure to wash it out at the end of the day for scalp and hair health, and start the process over tomorrow for another day in the sun.
Wahl is a leader in men’s grooming. Shop shavers, trimmers and clippers or visit our advice articles for more tips and tricks.